Monday, December 18, 2017

Promethean Misery Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Sure. It's a solo project which came about out of years of composing and recording, until the day came when I thought I should probably do something with it all, so I started collating them into separate releases. Each release has its own identity, and has explored dark music through different timbres, from the piano based music featured in my first release “Before My Eyes”, to the distorted violin single “Bloodlet” released earlier this year. Basically, my main instruments are piano and violin, but I listen to metal (doom mostly), so Promethean Misery is my amalgamation of the two.



2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

This album (“Ghosts”), is my third release, but it’s kind of part two of my first EP "Before My Eyes". "Before My Eyes" was all piano, orchestral, and voice based, so was largely classical/ darkwave in its delivery. This release, "Ghosts", is the next progression bringing distorted elements, percussion, and even the odd death growl into the mix, hence adding the doom metal element. My next release (due for release Nov 2018) is heavier still, and is pretty much straight up doom, utilizing distorted violin (instead of guitars) as the main element driving the music; it will be much in the same vein as my single “Bloodlet”.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

Well, there’s the usual suspects- death, depression etc, but aside from those, I draw from life experiences (mine or others), or interesting concepts or stories, or even paintings. One thing is certain though, all of my lyrics have a pretty bleak tinge to them; you won’t find me writing joyful, hopeful lyrics, or a love song.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Promethean Misery'?

Ah, good question, and one that I get asked a lot. In short, it stands for “Eternally Miserable”. But if you want the longer story… Promethean was derived from “Prometheus”- the Greek god. The (very brief) rundown is that he pissed off the gods, and so was cursed to be chained to a rock where an eagle would make lunch of his liver. Due to his immortality, his liver grew back over night, so the eagle had a daily feed. One happy bird, one miserable God- Promethean Misery. While none of the lyrics refer to the story of Prometheus, I thought the concept was fitting to convey the feel of the music- and ongoing tale of woe.



5.On the album you recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work by yourself?

For my solo work, I think I do prefer to work on my own; I like exploring an idea on my own, in my own time. This release is the only one where I included other artists (Lee Tassaker doing the death growls on two tracks, and Giovanni Gariano doing distorted guitar on track 4). If I really wanted an instrument featured on my work that I’m terrible at playing, I wouldn’t hesitate to request the help of someone that’s in the know. Outside my solo work, I do enjoy jamming with other musicians, particularly in the doom metal genre. And it’s not unusual for me to be in band, or doing a bunch of session work for other bands, or both.



6.The album was released on 'PRC Music' are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?

This is a new relationship, but one that I’m stoked to be part of. They are so passionate about what they do, and so passionate about the bands they promote, and that’s exactly what you want in a label. What’s more, they are really down to earth dudes, and all the bands on the label have each others back. They’ve been very welcoming.



7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of darkwave, neo-classical and doom metal?

Well, I keep throwing curve balls, with each release featuring different instruments. I was a bit concerned about that in the beginning, as people don’t usually like change, but I think it’s just kept things exciting. The feedback that I’ve had from fans has all been positive so far, and now that I have three releases under my belt, they are telling me which ones they like best. Aside from fans, I’ve had some great reviews for my work. As a solo artist, this has been a pretty intense experience. In a band, any comments get dissolved among the group, but as a solo artist you wear the badge on your own, so I’m very grateful that the experience so far has been a positive one.



8.What is going on with 'Myraeth' these days?

After six top years, unfortunately Myraeth has fizzled. We have a full-length album which was recorded to completion, and was due to be mixed, when our external lives took over and we could no longer sustain the band. But we’re all still mates and enjoy a beer together on the odd occasion.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I think I’ve had a pretty good run so far. I’ve been performing on the Aussie metal stage for, let’s just say a long time. Since Myraeth’s expiration, I’ve been able to focus on my Promethean Misery work, but also do a lot of session work (live and/or recorded) with a bunch of other bands (including Lycanthia, The Veil, Futility, Inclemency, Rise of Avernus) and projects (including Lost Salt Blood Purges), with more in the works. But I have most recently joined forces with the mighty Cruciform as their keyboardist, soon to support Paradise Lost. As for the future, I will be releasing a full-length album in around Nov next year through PRC music. Beyond that, who knows!



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I always wondered how I would answer this question if it ever came up, as I’m not really directly influenced by anything per se, I’ve always written what I felt like doing at the time. If I was to be influenced by something, it’s probable that it would be in a minor key, and maybe something that makes you feel a little uneasy, and likely to have a bit of grunt.



11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Studying. I don’t know what it is, but I have barely put the pen down since I left school. And I’m not sure I actually enjoy it. It’s some weird addiction thing. But aside from essays and assignments, as long as it’s creative, I’ll probably enjoy it/ give it a go. Camping and bushwalking are maybe my other interests, but I rarely have the time to do that… due to my studying :/



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I’d just like to say a massive thanks for the interview! I also want to give a shout out to my fans. I wasn’t sure where this journey would lead, but I’ve met some pretty awesome people through it, so hopefully things will keep rolling in that direction.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment