Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Red Moon Architect Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?
We've started to rehearse these new songs. We don't ever play the new songs together until the album is done so there's a lot to figure out. We've also had quite much to do around this album release. Promotion, gig booking etc. A lot of things to do!

2.You have a new album coming out in May, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past/
It's a weird mixture of heavy and lighter elements, still fitting in this funeral doom category. The sound is rough enough to get the point through, but at the same time production is pretty modern and polished for a doom band. Soundscape is big. A lot of reverbs, huge wall of guitars. That is then mixed with melodic synths and heavenly sweet female vocals.
Compared to our previous album “Fall”, the synths are in bigger role creating the atmosphere. Also the whole production and studio work was done in highest standards possible. No corners cut.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
When I (Saku) write lyrics, I mostly just try to put my emotions into words. It's a bit more abstract point of view. Anni, who did write lyrics for tracks “Tormented” and “NDE”, writes a bit more of concrete topics. They're more story-like than mine. Which is great. I think it gives our output much more diversity.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Red Moon Architect'?
I really can't remember where it came from back then. Red Moon has a lot of meanings in history and in different religions. It used to symbolize a new era or some bad event. It's also really appealing visually.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
There's been so many. Tuska, the biggest metal festival in Finland has been one of the highlights. We've also played few shows with Amorphis. Huge clubs and great audiences. Those are the nights to remember. Some of our very first shows have also very special place in my heart. Even if they were quite modest in many ways and we weren't at the same level as a band, it was awesome to play live with RMA for the first times.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?
We're playing some shows in Finland first. Album release party is 8th June in Helsinki, Finland. Estonia is on the list to go next.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of funeral doom metal?
Really great! Although we have a lot of listeners that aren't just funeral doom fans. Reactions from media have been great since we started, especially with this new album. Fans think that our new material has always been better and better. So do we, so we're going to the right direction! We've also got some great feedback from people that usually don't listen to metal.

8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that the band members are a part of?
Our bass player Jukka plays also in Crimson Sun. They've been really active touring around Europe and writing new material. If you're into melodic metal and modern sound, you should really check them out!

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I really don't know. We're so happy with the outcome of our last album that I don't know what we could change. Usually the ideas will start to grow a while after the latest album is released. I'll start to write new material next winter. I don't want to make the same album twice, so we'll see. Everything is quite balanced now and the sound of our band is exactly how I've wanted it to be.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I've been influenced more of nature, other people and my emotions than music. I've listened to a lot of dark ambient music lately and I think that can be heard on our album. For example, the intro track “The Haunt”. Many people don't just get it and think it's completely unnecessary track, but for me it's important when you listen the album as a whole. Shape Of Despair, the greatest funeral doom band from Finland has of course been a huge influence for me always.
I don't listen to metal a lot. I work as a record producer and mostly work with metal bands, but on my own time I'm more into fusion jazz. It may be days or weeks when I don't listen to any music at all. It's also a common joke that I don't know any of the bands out there. I really don't. I'm so out of scene, haha.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Video games, whisky, food and my lovely daughter. Because of my job, music is so big part of my life, there isn't really space for anything else. I just don't have time to any more hobbies.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
If you're into melodic doom metal, or even if not, you should check out our new album “Return of the Black Butterflies”. It's our best album to the date and we're extremely proud to soon have it out there for all of you to listen. Thanks!

Facebook
Instagram
Spotify
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment