Saturday, January 25, 2014

Truthseeker Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and new release of the new album?
I've just been working on getting the CD and cassette editions of the album printed. I'm working with a label on that endeavor, and we should have them printed in the next couple of months.
2.You recently released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction it has taking and also how much progress do you feel you have made since the last ep?
The new album is rooted in the same primary elements as the EP, and expands on them in several different ways. The songs on "Weightless at Dawn" were the first songs ever written for the project, but there was a distinct style to them that needed to be elaborated on. I had plenty of time to reflect on the EP before making the album, and that helped make a lot of progress as far as identifying what the Truthseeker sound is, and how to expand on it properly.
3.The music is all instrumental, you are planning on adding vocals in the future?
I consider it sometimes. Even if I started singing there would still be some instrumental pieces. That's just the way I write with this project.
4.What are some of the themes and images you bring out with your music?
I guess a "theme" I've worked with so far is is capturing a single emotion or a certain state of mind with each song, and staying on that single emotion/mindframe to the end, instead of bouncing around to different feelings. This way each song encapsulates a significant feeling or perspective that can be easily revisited by listening to the song again.
The imagery for me is, in the case of the new album, always a dark blue piece of scenery, of a place that's important to me personally. However it's as if I'm looking at it from the afterlife, and I'm observing these old places and these feelings that defined me when I was alive, but now I can look at them the same way we look at paintings and photographs right now, and draw a meaning from them as such.
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Truthseeker'?
The name came from a conversation with a friend I had for a short while. She was something of an adviser and teacher to me on a spiritual level, but she had cancer when I met her which she succumbed to just a few months later. In one of our conversations she told me I "have the soul of a Truthseeker." I don't know how deep the meaning was behind her saying that, but it was a nice thing to hear...so naming my solo project Truthseeker was a way of honoring and remembering the fact that this brilliant person believed in me on that level.
6.Currently the music project is solo but there was another band member in the past, are you planning on using using musicians again for this project or do you choose to remain solo?
Remaining solo just feels right. However I am interested in playing live at some point, which of course I would need other musicians for. As far as writing and recording goes, I feel really comfortable doing it alone.
7.According to the fb page, the project is signed to Dissociation Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
That is my personal label, for the music I put out. It's not really a fully functional label (signing other acts, etc.) as it is just a moniker for all my independent releases.
8.What is going on with your other musical projects these days?
I'm in a progressive rock band called Vine with my friend Justin, and we are putting our first album together right now, which I'm very excited about. Other than that, I have just been writing a lot of new stuff, for Obsidian Tongue and Truthseeker.
9.What direction do you see Truthseeker heading into on future releases?
I'm always just chasing the sounds and melodies that are in my head, which I feel I'm getting closer and closer to. All I can say is future releases will be the style of music I hear in my mind all the time. I can't really explain the sound right now.
10.What are some bands or musical style that have had an influence on this musical project?
The sound is influenced by hard rock/classic rock, progressive rock, doom metal, classical music, and ambient music. The primary artists that inspire me with the band are Pink Floyd, Rush, Robert Fripp, Led Zeppelin, Anathema, Morne, and Cliff Burton's work with Metallica.
11.Has there ever been any live shows with this musical project?
Not yet. Hopefully soon!
12.Before we wrap up this interview do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for your interest, and for inviting me to do this interview. It was a pleasure.

https://truthseeker1.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment