Saturday, August 24, 2013

Annwfyn Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
While I was tracking the last piece for my personal project Meslamtaea (that was about 2007) I felt the urge to explore new sounds. I wanted to create different music with acoustic guitars, spoken words and emphatic synths. This idea resulted in the track called ‘Wyrd’. It was so different from my older stuff, that I decided to release it under a new name: Annwfyn. I went further and scanned for more style-changes. I introduced the Ebow and acoustic bass, which sounded great next to my fretless. A new mood was determined: psychedelic, dreamy and furthermore clean and bright. All the songs are built up over periods of months and years. A good friend, Arjan, contributed the spoken words, Eventually he helped me out with the final mix of the EP. By the way, the drums are not programmed :-)

2.How would you describe your musical sound?
I think that Annwfyn is like a patchwork of various sounds. A collage with layers and layers of various instruments, which are carefully shaped into dreamlike, melancholic and hypnotic music tracks.

3.What are some of the concepts and images you bring out with your music?
Annwfyn is a journey into thoughts. The lyrics are about things that can be mused about on a january's sunday morning.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
Annwfyn means ‘another world’. It’s a magic kingdom from the Welsh mythology. I just liked the name and it fits to the atmosphere of my music.

5.Currently there is only 1 member involved in the project, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
I was grown in a little Dutch village were it was hard to find like-minded musicians. So out of necessity I learned to play instruments myself and started tracking music. However I play with other bands and projects these days, I always have the urge to keep writing and playing music on my own. I have direct control over all aspects of the music, and no compromises are have to be made with other musicians.

6.Does Paganism play any role in the music?
Nope.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your recording by fans of music?
Only a select group has heard the record, as the EP is recently finished. But I'm quite curious what people think of it.

8.Are you involved with any other musical projects?
I play drums in a few black-metal related bands and project. As I speak we are rehearsing for an album of the band Asgrauw.

9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
At this moment I've only a handful of new riffs. As composing and recording goes very slow – let's say one track a year - I've no clue at all how my music sounds like in 2020 :-)

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
My collection is very varied. You’ll find black & death-metal next to fusion, progressive, jazz, classic, 70's psychedelic, folk, post-rock and so on. Ulver's Kveldssanger and Clannad were a important influence for the acoustic parts of Annwfyn. But the bright sound of French acts like Les Discrets and Alcest were very inspiring too. Besides that, I liked to append the craziness of bands like Fleurety and Virus. And vinyl records of Yes were always turning it's rounds when I was out of inspiration. I also have to mention prog and jazz like Mahavischnu Orchestra, Gordian Knot, Canvas Solaris and so on. Though the dark atmosphere of black-metal always were a base for my chords and harmony's. One of the best and inspirational Dutch metal bands at this moment are Murw and Krocht.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
The best thing that mankind has brought forth is Art.

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for the interview and all the best!

http://heidenshart.bandcamp.com/album/zicht 

No comments:

Post a Comment